Prizm ActiveX Viewer
Add advanced viewing, file annotation, and enhanced customization options. Give users a flexible, convenient way to view document images in Internet Explorer with the ActiveX control.
Prizm ActiveX Viewer is now available only to existing customers.
Prizm ActiveX Viewer remains available and fully supported for contract renewals, but will not be offered to new customers. Please visit our Viewing and Annotation solutions to learn about our latest technologies.
Learn More » Questions? Contact Us »
View document images through a web browser with Prizm ActiveX Viewer.
Prizm ActiveX Viewer is an ActiveX document viewer that delivers documents from central repositories to your users via the Web. It offers business process managers and web developers greater control over how documents and images are presented. Add document viewing to the Internet Explorer browser with more flexibility and convenience.
Prizm ActiveX Features
File Annotation and Collaboration
Enable document collaboration. Store all of your users’ annotations on your Web server or directly in your document management system (DMS) or enterprise content management (ECM) database. The Prizm Annotation Server download includes a fully-working sample that can also be used as a template for storing Prizm ActiveX Viewer annotations within your DMS. The Prizm Annotation Server is separately licensed based on the number of server cores.
- Popular annotations include text box, pop-up note, highlight, lines, arrows, rubber stamps, polygons and polylines, rectangles and ellipses, and freehand
- A descriptive note can be included within each annotation, displayed when the mouse is placed over it
- Annotations can be exported inside TIFF or PDF files, burned into images, or saved separately
Multi-Format Document Viewing
Prizm ActiveX Viewer displays document images your browser can’t. Automatically open many image types with one viewer. Comprehensive viewing features go beyond common display tools to add thumbnail navigation, poster printing, image export, and many others.
Easily configure any of the following types to be opened with Prizm ActiveX Viewer:
- TIFF (single and multiple page, stripped, and tiled) in all compression formats
- PDF (PDF edition only)
- CALS Type 1 (Group 4) for Government and Military use
- C4 (JEDMICS)
- BMP Bitmap
- HD Photo (JPEG XR)
- PCX/DCX Paintbrush
- AutoCAD™ (DWG, DXF, DWF) multi-layer, multi-layout
- IBM AFP (including MO:DCA, PTOCA and ABIC)
- JPEG 2000
- SVG (SVG Spec 1.1)
- WSQ Fingerprint
Want to deliver a PDF, four TIFFs, and a JPEG with a single mouse-click? Our image list files let you package any combination of files and selected pages to be viewed or printed by your users as one virtual document. You can include property damage photos with insurance claims, home photos with mortgage applications, or assembly diagrams with parts lists. List files are described using an XML-based schema provided with the Prizm Admin Tools so that you can group files and present them to your users on the Web.
Advanced Navigation Tools
Use your mouse, keyboard, menus, and controls to quickly move between images.
- Thumbnail navigation – Use your mousewheel, or click on the thumbnail to jump to a page.
- The table of contents window can be used to quickly navigate through image list files and PDFs (PDF edition)
- Search for text anywhere in a searchable PDF file and click to view that page (PDF edition)
Advanced Viewing Tools
- Flying magnifier lets you zoom a particular area of the image.
- Reference window provides a “birds eye view” and can be dragged to position the image.
Enhanced Image Display Options
- Anti-aliasing, which automatically improves bitonal image display
- Color smoothing, which evens out the “blockiness” that often occurs with highly-magnified or over-compressed color images
- Unicode support for thumbnail descriptors
- Set initial view display
- Set initial display rotation
- Mirror horizontal and/or vertical
- Preserve lines when scaling
- Invert colors
- Color smoothing
- Patented enhanced JPEG decoding
- Brightness and contrast adjustments
- Maintain scaling, position and orientation when paging
- Apply print options to bitonal, color, PDF, and CAD images independently
- Include or omit annotations in print
- Specify up to 3 lines of header and footer text to be printed. Macro support allows auto-insertion of print date, time, and other variables
- Specify poster printing options for large format images including shrink instructions, overlap settings, minimum size for poster printing, order of pages
- Permit auto-orient when different orientation saves paper on printed images
Customize Installation Files
Prizm ActiveX Viewer lets you customize the user interface and build a new installer that enables the features your users need. Turn off or reorganize your users’ toolbars, docking windows, and menus, set default viewing options, control supported file types, and even supply your own help file in place of ours. The Prizm ActiveX Viewer administrator tools include a comprehensive configuration application that helps you easily define every custom feature so that you can deploy with your own default settings. Change colors, navigation tools, MIME types, initial viewing settings, and deploy a customized version of Prizm ActiveX Viewer.
Customize the Web Viewing Experience
Did you know that you can deploy Prizm ActiveX Viewer for distributing documents to your users right on your website? While your document management system decides who has access to documents, you can control the entire end-user environment via HTML tags. Prizm ActiveX Viewer can be licensed just for viewing images on your URL.
Integrated Scripting API
You have even more potential to create a completely controlled document distribution and viewing solution for those using Internet Explorer. Virtually all of the power of the viewer is exposed as methods, properties, and events of a Prizm ActiveX object. You can embed the PrizmControl object on any Web page, and control nearly every aspect of images viewed within it.
- Windows 10, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7, Windows 7.1, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, and Windows Server 2012.
- Browsers: Internet Explorer 11 (32 bit only)
Tech Specs for Prizm ActiveX Viewer
Get a powerful, flexible document viewer for ActiveX. Here you’ll find compatible programming environments, sample code, FAQs, current builds, and more
Detailed Technical Specs
Virtual Multi-Page Document Image List Files
Websites can share virtual documents made from collections of individual images. These image list files can include different file types, yet are viewed just like multi-page images. Prizm ActiveX Viewer uses an XML format supporting features such as the specification of a table of contents, page numbering for printing, exporting, pages to view, and other data elements. Prizm ActiveX Viewer displays tables of contents for image list files, multi-page PDFs, or TIFF documents in a dockable window, and the user can navigate to any entry in the TOC just by clicking on it.
- Create image list files on your website combining individual image files to present them as multi-page images
- Users can batch print image list files without viewing each document
- List files can limit display to specified pages from each source document
- Deliver all the convenience of multi-page documents without the bandwidth requirements of downloading large multi-page TIFF or PDF files
- List file instructions (including table of contents, page numbering, image display attributes, and user interface configuration) are stored in XML, the data format used by most current databases and data processing systems
- The complete list file schema is included in the Prizm Administrator Tools
Customizing Your Installation
- A configuration application is provided that allows administrators to pre-configure installations and user features, as well as nearly all default user settings and preferences. This application generates a configuration file that is used by the Prizm ActiveX Viewer installation program when installed on end-user computers.
- The Prizm ActiveX Viewer help file (CHM format) can be replaced with a custom help file targeted for your specific user base.
- Prizm ActiveX Viewer may be installed in a variety of ways. A downloadable installation program is provided for individual installation. Network Administrators may push the software to end user desktops. A new automatic install from the web (CAB file) option is also available. Silent installations can easily be created so that no user interaction is required.
- A fully functional trial license allows for complete product testing, limited only by an occasional nag screen and image watermarking.
- Licensing may be purchased for individual client deployments, web server deployments, and server deployments.
- Push distribution for remote installation using MSI file and SMS technology
- Silent installation available for enterprise settings
- Completely customizable for your organization
- May be licensed for use only on your website
- Edition without PDF support offers faster download and installation option
- Configuration application allows extensive pre-configuration by administrators
Prizm ActiveX Viewer provides a powerful scriptable API exposing numerous objects, methods, and properties.
- The Prizm ActiveX Viewer object can receive instructions, make requests for status, receive notification of events, and interact with other browser components.
- Toolbar and menu functions can be executed through external commands.
- New buttons can be added to the original toolbar to initiate scripted events.
- Both initial and current image properties can be set and retrieved through the API, allowing complete control over the user experience
- Individual toolbars for image viewing, manipulation, annotation and information display, thumbnails, and table of contents can be arranged or hidden for the user, using the scripting API.
- A logging capability may be used to record any error conditions and related information to an external log file on the user’s computer. This can be used in fine-tuning or for debugging purposes.
Prizm Annotation Server
Collaborate on document images using the Prizm Annotation Server to store annotations.
- Annotate multiple types of documents (i.e. PDF, JPEG, CAD and TIFF) within the same annotation set and user interface
- Control permissions to view, edit, print, and delete annotations
- Store and display unicode text (Asian, Arabic, etc.)
- Prizm Annotation Server licensing provides an annotation storage and retrieval communications gateway for back end document management and database-driven systems.
- Annotations are saved in XML format to be easily interpreted by other systems.
- Note that when exporting documents, users can choose whether their annotations are burned onto the new image file, saved as an associated external annotation file, embedded in Wang or legacy NotateXpress format (for TIFF files), or included in PDF files as native PDF annotations.
Controlled PDF Delivery
With the PDF edition, a single user interface can be used to deliver all of the sophisticated viewing, annotation, and printing features of Prizm ActiveX Viewer. Using external Prizm annotations instead of native PDF comments maintains the integrity of original PDF files and offers greater control over how they are viewed and edited.
- Uses Adobe’s PDF technology for reliable single and multi-page PDF support.
- Open, view, annotate, and print PDF files.
- Most common PDF annotations are supported
- A custom PDF MIME type is provided to direct PDF files to Prizm XV without conflicting with other viewers or requiring an image list file.
- Use the same annotation for both TIFF and PDF images.
- Choose how annotations in PDF files are handled (burn them into the image, ignore them, save as embedded images, or save as separate annotation files).
Managing User Permissions and Preferences
Network Administrators can customize (and lock down) the appearance of the user interface by controlling numerous features, including control of the selection and order of commands that appear on end-users’ toolbar buttons and their associated menu items. Viewing options can be set for individual images by using the image list file, object/embed parameters, and the scripting API.
- Configure and save preferences according to user needs. Defaults can be initially set during installation or defined on-the-fly with live web content at the user level.
- Control file associations (MIME types) and specify custom file associations where Prizm ActiveX Viewer should be the default viewer.
- Administrators can set the initial defaults, and allow users to choose which types of files can be opened in the browser with Prizm ActiveX Viewer.
- Different file associations can be selected for local images and for Web-based images.
- Control annotation sources, show or hide annotations, control edit permissions, and more.
- Configure default annotation settings like colors, border width, fill style, stamp text, fonts, etc.
- Set flying magnifier size and magnification factors.
- Apply default display settings to bitonal, color, PDF, and CAD images independently.
- Apply initial style of display (full image, full width, actual size) for bitonal, color, PDF, and CAD images independently.
- Set mouse button default action (image sizing and selection tools, or specific annotation).
- Customize toolbars including omitting or including whole toolbars or individual buttons and define toolbar spacing.
- Use embed tags, object tags, parameters, and image list file options to configure Prizm ActiveX Viewer features and control allowed operations for different user groups on the fly.
- One version of the Prizm ActiveX Viewer can serve different departments with differing web-based viewing needs.
- Customize display of docking windows.
- Initial image display settings.
- Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 7.1, Windows 10, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows 8, Windows 8.1 and Windows Server 2012.
- Browsers: Internet Explorer 8, 9, 10, 11 (32 bit only), and Firefox 41 (32 bit only; older versions are likely compatible)